Born in 371 BC, Chanakya is also known as Kautilya or Vishnugupta. It is said that he dedicated his entire life to building the Mauryan empire and was the chief advisor and strategist to Chandragupta Maurya and his son, Bindusara.
Known as one of the wisest and intelligent person born in the history of human civilization, Chanakya was a very well-read person and had shared numerous pearls of wisdom that hold relevance till date.
Following are 10 of his best quotes that can not only be applied to your personal life but professional life as well …
1) Books are as useful to a stupid person as a mirror is useful to a blind person.
2) Once you start a working on something, don’t be afraid of failure and don’t abandon it. People who work sincerely are the happiest
3) The earth is supported by the power of truth; it is the power of truth that makes the sun shine and the winds blow; indeed all things rest upon truth.
4) Before you start some work, always ask yourself three questions – Why am I doing it, What the results might be and Will I be successful. Only when you think deeply and find satisfactory answers to these questions, go ahead.
5) The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
6) Education is the best friend. An educated person is respected everywhere. Education beats the beauty and the youth.
7) Treat your kid like a darling for the first five years. For the next five years, scold them. By the time they turn sixteen, treat them like a friend. Your grown up children are your best friends.
8) Never make friends with people who are above or below you in status. Such friendships will never give you any happiness.
9) O wise man! Give your wealth only to the worthy and never to others. The water of the sea received by the clouds is always sweet.
10) It is better to die than to preserve this life by incurring disgrace. The loss of life causes but a moment’s grief, but disgrace brings grief every day of one’s life.